When our customer came to us to make his dream of owning a replica of the Black Death bike in the 80’s movie Harley-Davidson & The Marlboro Man, starring Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson, come true, we quickly let him know that he came to the right place!
Without a bike to start with, we scanned our local Craigslist ads to find an adequate 80’s Harley FXR. After purchasing one, we quickly went to work stripping everything off. At this point, we had planned out with the owner of the bike that we would not build a true replica of the movie bike but a modern interpretation. We proceeded to cut the neck and welding it back on at a different angle to give us more rake. The idea was to make this build long and low.
The original movie bike was a hardtail, but the owner of this bike wanted to be able to ride this bike for longer distances with more comfort. We opted to throw away the stock swingarm and shocks while fabricating a new tubular swingarm from scratch. We decided to use the newly available in the US K-Tech Bullit shocks with black TiN coated piston rods. Metzeler tires with a 200 series at the rear ride on Roland Sands Morris Black Ops wheels. Real bullets are inlaid into the in house CNCed from billet handlebar clamps holding the custom built handlebars. Also inlaid in the handlebar clamp is a Moto Gadget digital dash complete with speedometer, resettable trip meter and tachometer along with warning lights.
The tank, front fender and custom fabricated tail were taken down to bare metal, then scuffed to give a brushed look and finally clear coated. The graphics on the fuel tank are combination of custom printed vinyl and paint. The fully custom seat features a suede-like cover with read contrast stitching.
Finally, for all the show this bike has, it has some go! The 80ci Evo motor was balanced and blueprinted and taken to 102ci. Internals were lightened, 600 lift cam, Axtell big bore cylinders and pistons, ported and flowed heads with oversized valves improve breathing. We custom made the drag pipes and installed fuel injection to make sure combustion was handled properly. Result is 100hp and 100 lb-ft of torque! See dyno chart here. To help getting power to the ground, we installed a Baker 6-speed transmission and a Rivera Primo open primary.